January 23, 2013

Melissa J. featured in Northumberland News!


Grafton Teen Models on International Stage
By Paul J. Rellinger

GRAFTON -- Melissa J's modelling career may have taken her to Asia and back, but deep down she's just a good ol' country girl.

After modelling for little more than a year and a half, the 19-year-old Grafton woman signed a contract with Select Models, which saw her spend three months in Instanbul, Turkey.

If not for a chance meeting in 2011 at Northumberland Mall, Melissa would not have known the excitement of being an international model.

"I was walking through the mall, with no makeup on and this woman walked right up to me and asked me if I would be interested in modelling," Melissa said.

That woman was Audra Anderson -- owner and president of Mode Elle, a model and talent agency headquartered in Belleville.


"I had never really been interested in modelling before," Melissa said. "When I was nine, I would take my mom's heels and strut up and down the hallway though. When I got started with Mode Elle, I started to get excited about the possibilities."

It was not even a year later when possibilities took her halfway across the globe.

During the 2012 Canadian Model and Talent Convention in May, she was scouted by one of the top modeling agencies, Istanbul Select Models.

"I had never been in a plane before then and going to be in a strange country for three months, so I was nervous. I really didn't know what to expect," she said. "But Istanbul was incredible. I felt like a celebrity. Before I left I was seeing photos of myself on H/M billboards. It was an experience I'll never forget."

During her time in Istanbul and back home in Canada, Ms. Jewell modelled everything from swimwear to dresses and lingerie to pajamas -- including 50 photo shoots in the time she was there.

Ms. Jewell will admit while wearing close to nothing in front of the camera was intimidating and nerve racking, working with other professionals made the experience easier.

"When I was surrounded by four or five photographers at a time and half a dozen makeup people, who all tell you how beautiful and sexy you are, it's a bit of an ego boost," she said. "In the heat of the moment, you kind of forget what you're wearing or look like and start enjoying yourself."

But when the camera flashes stop, with all the makeup off and her hair tied back, Ms. Jewell likes to ride horses, ATVs, go snowmobiling and snowboarding.

"I'm such a country girl at heart," she said. "If I wasn't discovered at the mall, I would never had pursued a career in modelling."

Although she loves being outdoors or being in front of a camera, Ms. Jewell admits she does have one guilty pleasure.

"I'm a huge gamer," she said with a laugh. "I love playing (Call of Duty) Black Ops."

For now though, modelling will take a backseat to Ms. Jewell's education. She started at Sudbury's Cambrian College in September, majoring in business administration.

"I want to be a real estate lawyer one day," she said. "I'll still do modelling, but not as much and probably shoots closer to home. But if I got the chance to work in Miami, I'd go. I'd love to work there."

Whether modelling is in Ms. Jewell's future or not, she'll never forget the experience.

"It changed my life and my outlook on life," she said. "It made me realize how lucky I am to live in Canada and to get opportunities not a lot of people around the world get."

So between camera flashes, Ms. Jewell will keep her nose in her school books -- or squeeze in a quick game of Black Ops

Congratulations Melissa!! :)